- At Newmont, one of our core values is to act with integrity, trust and respect.
- Newmont employees will demonstrate leadership in safety, stewardship of the environment and social responsibility.
Recent Features :
Our Commitment to Each Other
We recognize that our people are our most important asset and our performance as a company depends on respect for people.
Our work force is dynamic and diverse, and we will treat each other with respect and dignity. As one of our values, we are committed to developing our people in the pursuit of excellence. We strive to provide a work environment in which we all are encouraged to share information, work as a team, take an active part in reaching our strategic goals and feel a sense of pride in working at Newmont. We further strive to recognize and reward creativity, a determination to excel and a commitment to action.
Numerous laws and policies affect our work force. It is important that we comply with all applicable employment and labor laws within each country where Newmont operates. It also is important that we review and comply with the employment policies in place at a particular site. These laws and site-specific policies will provide more details on how we are to conduct ourselves, and what follows are some of the conduct standards.
We recruit, select, place, promote and compensate employees on the basis of their qualifications for the work to be performed, including experience, merit and other work-related criteria. We consider workplace accommodations as appropriate to comply with all applicable laws governing fair employment and labor practices. We also support and obey laws everywhere we do business that prohibit discrimination on the basis of legally protected categories including, but not limited to, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability and age, all as defined by the applicable law for each global work site. There are more specific equal employment policies at each site. Please refer to those policies for more detail on the topic.
Our work environment will be free of illegal harassment based upon legally protected categories, as well as harassment in violation of site-specific harassment policies. Please refer to site-specific policies for more detail to prohibit harassment. If you observe conduct that runs contrary to this principle, you have a responsibility to notify the human resources department or contact the compliance line.
We must use common sense and follow applicable safety laws, regulations and policies for the facility where we work. We must take the necessary precautions to prevent occupational illness or injuries. We are committed to working toward an injury-free workplace. We shall identify potential risks before accidents occur and integrate our safety management systems into the way we do business. If a task cannot be done safely, it will not be done at all. We must promptly report accidents and dangerous situations to our managers or the human resources department, as well as any and all applicable government agencies, as required by law.
Further, we do not tolerate workplace violence of any kind. Newmont prohibits any act or threat of physical violence while conducting Newmont business, while on Newmont property, or while interacting with any Newmont employees, vendors or contractors. Examples of conduct that may constitute threats or acts of violence under our Code include:
• Threats or acts of physical or aggressive contact directed toward another individual or his or her family, friends, associates or property.
• The intentional destruction, defacing of, or threat of the defacing or destruction of Newmont property or another employee's property.
• Harassing or threatening phone calls or e-mails.
• Veiled threats of physical harm or similar intimidation.
• Any conduct resulting in an arrest or conviction under any criminal law relating to violence or threats of violence.
We do not tolerate illegal activity while on Newmont premises or while on Newmont business as it could put you, Newmont or others in harm's way. We will comply with all laws and company policies. If, while on Newmont premises or while on Newmont business, you are engaging in activities contrary to law or policy, you will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
The following illustrates activities that are against company policy and that will not be tolerated while you are on Newmont premises, in Newmont vehicles or on company business:
• Consumption and storage of alcoholic beverages at an operations or technical site, except when authorized by a member of senior management of the company and otherwise legally permitted.
• The unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensation, possession, transfer, sale, purchase or usage of a controlled substance, such as illegal drugs.
• Driving vehicles or operating company equipment while under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances.
• Illegal betting or gambling.
• The possession of weapons of any sort, except by security or other personnel who are authorized by Newmont.
Our conduct that occurs away from Newmont property and outside of the normal course of Newmont business may also impact our company. Off-duty misconduct could jeopardize workplace safety or security, Newmont's image and reputation, or our ability to carry out our duties. Thus, we have an obligation to let Newmont know of our own off-duty misconduct as well as the off-duty misconduct of other employees.
In the event you are charged with or convicted of a crime, whether related to our Code or not, you must report that fact to your manager and to the human resources department within five days of being charged or convicted.
In addition, if you operate company motorized vehicles as part of your work assignments or are covered by a transportation authority's regulatory requirements, you have additional reporting requirements. Specifically, you must immediately report to your manager any on-the-job or off-the-job traffic ticket, accident, citation or other issue that impacts the status of your driver's license.
The impact of any off-duty misconduct on Newmont's interests will be assessed on a case-by-case basis. Newmont may, at our sole discretion and in accordance with applicable law, take disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.